Elder Abuse Task Force- Santa Clara County, CA- Manual: “Elder Abuse—Guidelines for Professional Assessment and Reporting”.
This is a comprehensive elder abuse training manual now available online to assist elder care professionals with our critical role in identifying the various types of elder and dependent adult abuse, assessing and documenting the situation carefully, interviewing appropriately and reporting suspected abuse and neglect. This publication was developed by the Elder Abuse Task Force of Santa Clara County, CA composed of professionals representing agencies serving older adults and committed to education, advocacy and prevention of elder abuse. Please present the complete manual and feel free to add local reporting agencies and community resources for your County if you choose to use it as a template.
RELATED SERVICES AND PROFESSIONALS
POLST (Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) is an approach to improving end-of-life care in the United States, encouraging doctors to speak with patients and create specific medical orders to be honored by health care workers during a medical crisis.
POLST is not for everyone; only patients with serious illnesses or frailty should have a POLST form. For these patients, their current health status indicates the need for standing medical orders for emergent or future medical care. For healthy patients, an advance directive is an appropriate tool for making future end-of-life care wishes known to loved ones.
Effective 1/1/16 In California Nurse Practitioners are also authorized to sign the POLST form.
Please click below to download the latest POLST form for yourself and your loved ones.
IMPORTANT! This information is meant to be used only for general information, in accordance with current medical information and the practice experience of this geriatrician and should never be used alone, outside of the medical advice of one’s personal physician.
- See our Medications page
- American Geriatrics Society Updated Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults
- Drugs to Avoid in Patients with Dementia
- Drugs to Avoid in the Elderly
- Drug Interaction Tools
- Potentially Inappropriate Medications for the Elderly
- Why Do Patients in Acute Care Hospitals Fall? Can Falls Be Prevented? *NEW*
- Morse Fall Scale for Identifying Fall Risk Factors *NEW*
- Fall Prevention Center of Excellence
- San Mateo County Fall Prevention Task Force
Elder Abuse: Physical, Financial and Emotional
- Elder Investment Fraud and Financial Exploitation (EIFFE) Prevention Program
- Legal Assistance for Seniors, Elder Abuse Conference
- Money Woes Can Be Early Clue to Alzheimer’s
- The National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
- The National Committee for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (NCPEA)
- The National Center for the Victims of Crime
- The National Consumers League’s Fraud Center
- National Center of Elder Abuse (acl.gov)
- Administration on Community Living
Phone Based Programs
Computer Based Programs
Transportation Options in the Bay Area
- Please see our Transportation page
- Delirium or Dementia—Do you know the difference? from the Alzheimer’s Association
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Heart Association
- Center for Gerontology at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Centers for Disease Control
- Daily Caring
- Foster City Village
- HICAP (the Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program)
- Institute on Aging
- Kensington Place of Redwood City
- Silverado Belmont Hills Memory Care Community
- Stanford University Aging Clinical Research Center
- Stanford University Center on Longevity
- Teepa Snow
- UCSF Institute on Health & Aging
- Wireless Monitor, Bed Pad & Pager (No Alarm in Patient's Room) Can Send Alert up to 150' From Pad to Pager
- Circaids Juxta-Fit™ Premium or Circaids Juxta-Lite
Go Wish Cards
Go Wish gives you an easy, even entertaining way to talk about what is most important to you. The cards help you find words to talk about what is important if you were to be living a life that may be shortened by serious illness. Playing the game with your relatives or best friends can help you learn how you can best comfort your loved ones when they need you most. Link to Go WIsh here or GO WISH CARD EXAMPLE